About a year ago I was on an early morning flight down to Washington DC for a business meeting, which I was dressed nicely for. I had fallen asleep and was woken up by flight attendants frantically patting down my jacket with soda water. While I managed to sleep through the entire fiasco, apparently a toddler was allowed to zealously shake an open blueberry “go-gurt” tube to his heart’s content. Said toddler was sitting ON his dad’s lap. Said blueberry go-gurt tie-dyed my jacket.
Here are some tips to avoid ending up on @passengershaming and to make air travel a bit more enjoyable for the rest of us!
- Nobody likes SMELLY FOOD. Eat your tuna sandwich another day. Seriously, we’re all gonna be stuck in this aluminum tube with no fresh air for the next 8 hours. The tuna sandwich couldn’t wait? We love this travel etiquette minute-long episode JetBlue created on “How Not To Pack a Snack”. Pro-tip: steer clear of blue cheese, raw onion, and anything fermented.
- Don’t be an ARMREST THIEF. The rule goes that the middle seat gets the shared armrests. It already sucks to be in the middle seat, so their consolation prize is the armrest. Some say that if the middle seat occupant doesn’t stake their claim before take-off, then the shared armrests become fair game.
- Don’t Play Games or Movies on an Electronic Device without Headphones. We’re surprised this is even “allowed” by the airlines! The ultimate worst is little kids playing games on a tablet with the same pings and dings playing loudly over and over again. Sidebar: also please don’t be a “passive parent” (often ranked in the top 10 airline passenger offenses).
- Wait Your Turn When Deplaning. The plane lands, the seatbelt sign turns off, and normally civilized humans turn in to crazy children fighting to be the first ones off the plane. Why? We’re all busy, we all have connections. Please don’t think you’re more important than the guy next to you. Just wait your turn. Be orderly. Don’t push people.
- Cover up your BARE FEET and your SMELLY FEET. Turns out, feet are the most common way to find yourself on @passengershaming. Don’t put your feet on the wall, don’t take your shoes off (or at least not your socks!), and certainly don’t stick them between the seats in front of you.
May all the travel karma and good vibes be with you always while you fly. If you have any questions about tips and tricks for flying, feel free to reach out! Happy Trails!