One of the best parts about Roatan is that you can fly directly to the island, no need for a ferry. On the north coast of Honduras, it is surrounded by beautiful beaches and the turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea.
Just off the island you can find the world’s most bio-diverse coral reefs. Roatan is famous amongst divers and snorkelers looking to explore the various marine life that live off the coast.
Roatan also has a beautiful, green and mountainous interior that is becoming an eco-tourism hotspot, with opportunities for those looking for more land adventure.
There are so many reasons people flock to this stunning, laid-back island but here are a few of our top reasons to visit!
- Snorkeling and Scuba Diving – You don’t have to dive down deep in order to find all types of marine life. The reefs are just off the shore and easy to access for snorkelers. However, Roatan also has over 170 dive sites that include underwater canyons, vivid coral gardens, wrecks, deep walls, and caves. You’re also very likely to see turtles, eels, stingrays, nurse sharks, and flounders in addition to the large array of tropical fish.
- Beaches – First things first, West Bay Beach is a world famous beach and is the longest stretch of easily accessible beach on the island. There are lots of beach front bars as well as plenty of space to sprawl out and not feel crowded. Marbella Beach is less well known and extremely pristine – the best place if you want privacy. Half Moon Bay is mostly for the divers and SUP boarders and Camp Bay beach is a great place to meet locals.
- Roatan Marine Park – considered under the Honduran standard as an area dedicated primarily to the conservation of the ecosystem and for recreation purposes. This park houses one of the most extensive coral formations of the Caribbean. And in particular, the Marine Park includes the southern end of the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System (SAM), as well as areas with corals that harbor large and diverse numbers of vertebrates and marine invertebrates.
- Carambola Gardens – The botanical gardens and many jungle trails found here are perfect for hiking, wildlife, and scenic photography. Orchids, medicine plants, and exotic spices are just a few things you will get to see and learn about. The Honduran Mahogany Tree and the well known Chocolate Tree can be found here as well.
- Bars & NightLife – Sundowners is the place to go for sunset. It’s quite a tradition among the locals and a great place for a burger and a beer! There are lots of other great beach bars, most of them in the popular West End, as well as more relaxed restaurants on the beach fronts, where it’s easy to relax the day away and watch the sunset with a cocktail in hand.
If you’re interested in learning more about Roatan or joining us on a trip there, reach out! Or check out our trip page at legittrips.com/honduras.